Friday, August 26, 2011
Research Sites for Ancient Egypt
Excellent General Sites The British Museum The ORIGINAL Tomb Raiders, and the finest Egyptological collection outside of Egypt. Mysteries of Egypt A good general site from civilization.canada, eh? Ancient Egypt Site Created by an Egyptologist, this site has gathered great resources from many places and put them here. Tour Egypt! Once you get past the fact that they're trying to sell you, everyone you know or ever met a tour of Egypt, you'll find that this site has good, accurate information. And if you get sick of researching, you can buy stuff! BBC—Ancient Egyptians Everything Egypt from soup to nuts. (beginning to end) Information on pyramids and monuments, pharaohs, mummification, religion, daily life and hieroglyphs fill this site with well-illustrated information. They even have GAMES! Egypt: Secrets of an Ancient World Explore Egypt National Geographic style. News stories, interactive features and other information grace this site. Like an Egyptian themed amusement park. And don't forget Ms. Jaffe's links page (which is open when we are studying Egypt, but not always). There are many overlaps, but some updates. Excellent Sites about specific topics. Pharaohs PBS on Pharaohs. Pyramids PBS on Pyramids. Obelisks Part of the Secrets of Lost Empires series from PBS..
BBC World News
- Long-term Gaza ceasefire agreed Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza agree a long-term truce, ending seven weeks of fighting that has left more than 2,200 people dead.
- Ukraine and Russia hold direct talks The Ukrainian and Russian presidents hold their first direct talks on the crisis in eastern Ukraine, but there appears to be no breakthrough.
- American 'fighter' dies in Syria battle An American man, believed to be fighting alongside militants in Syria, has been killed, the White House has confirmed.
- Hollande names new French cabinet French President Francois Hollande names a new government under Prime Minister Manual Valls, dropping ministers who rebelled against spending cuts.
- 'Ban E-cig use indoors,' says WHO The World Health Organization says there should be regulations preventing the use of electronic cigarettes indoors in public and work places.
- Big earthquake near Iceland volcano Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano has been hit by the largest quake since tremors began last week but experts say there are no signs of an eruption.