BBC World News
- First US airstrikes under new IS plan The US has carried out airstrikes in support of Iraqi troops under attack by Islamic State, the military says, the first under an expanded mission.
- Migrant boat sinking 'kills 500' About 500 migrants drowned after their ship was rammed by another boat near Malta last week, the International Organization for Migration says.
- Belgian murderer wins 'right to die' A Belgian man serving a life sentence for rape and murder will be allowed to have doctors end his life, after a landmark ruling.
- OECD sees global economy held back A slow recovery among nations using the euro is holding back the global economy, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development says.
- Hurricane Odile stuns Mexico resorts Hurricane Odile causes devastation in the beach resorts of Mexico's Baja California peninsula, triggering looting in some areas.
- Rio police 'corruption' arrests Police in Rio de Janeiro have arrested twenty-two of their own officers for alleged involvement in a bribery and extortion racket.