Monday, September 01, 2014
One kind of riding that really pushes the envelope of what can be done with a bike and, I think, exemplifies the human/bike connection, is trials riding. Balance is what trials riding is all about. The skills used by these athletes are the same (though worlds beyond what we will use) as the ones that we will need in riding trails. An amazing example of trials riding is this short feature of Scottish trials phenom, Danny MacAskill. His latest video is here. All I have to say is, "Wow."
Sunday, August 31, 2014
OK, so we probably won't be riding at either of these locations, but it's one of the only shots of me riding that I have. (the guy in the pink shirt above—all my black shirts were dirty) I didn't want to post ONLY a picture of some adrenaline junkie hanging it out over a 30 foot gap and give folks the wrong idea. Ours is a beginning mountain bike class. We'll start at the beginning with the fundamentals of riding, bike safety as it applies to trail riding, basic bike mechanics, bike handling skills, trail maintenance and building, and lots and lots of riding here on campus and occasionally on the State Lands trail system on Center Forest. Maybe a field trip to Dockton? We'll see. Anyway, there's lots of fun to be had. And we'll have it all. Probably won't be doing much jumping, though... See you on the trail..
BBC World News
- 66,000 Syrians 'flee to Turkey' Turkey says at least 66,000 Syrians have crossed the border in 24 hours, as hundreds of Kurds head the other way to fight Islamic State militants.
- Ukraine deal with eastern rebels The Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels agree a memorandum on a peace plan for the conflict in the east of the country, at talks in Minsk.
- NZ governing party wins elections New Zealand's governing National Party, led by Prime Minister John Key, wins an emphatic election victory, near-complete results show.
- French farmers torch tax office Angry French vegetable farmers protesting against falling living standards burn down tax and insurance offices in a Brittany town.
- Philippines storm displaces 200,000 Tropical storm Fung-Wong brings flooding, heavy rains and high winds to the Philippines, forcing some 200,000 people from their homes.
- Russian jets intercepted off Alaska Six Russian fighter jets are intercepted by American and Canadian planes off the coast of Alaska on Wednesday, US defence officials confirm.