Monday, September 01, 2014
One kind of riding that really pushes the envelope of what can be done with a bike and, I think, exemplifies the human/bike connection, is trials riding. Balance is what trials riding is all about. The skills used by these athletes are the same (though worlds beyond what we will use) as the ones that we will need in riding trails. An amazing example of trials riding is this short feature of Scottish trials phenom, Danny MacAskill. His latest video is here. All I have to say is, "Wow."
Sunday, August 31, 2014
OK, so we probably won't be riding at either of these locations, but it's one of the only shots of me riding that I have. (the guy in the pink shirt above—all my black shirts were dirty) I didn't want to post ONLY a picture of some adrenaline junkie hanging it out over a 30 foot gap and give folks the wrong idea. Ours is a beginning mountain bike class. We'll start at the beginning with the fundamentals of riding, bike safety as it applies to trail riding, basic bike mechanics, bike handling skills, trail maintenance and building, and lots and lots of riding here on campus and occasionally on the State Lands trail system on Center Forest. Maybe a field trip to Dockton? We'll see. Anyway, there's lots of fun to be had. And we'll have it all. Probably won't be doing much jumping, though... See you on the trail..
BBC World News
- Hollande to visit Ebola-hit Guinea French President Francois Hollande is to arrive in Guinea, the first Western leader to visit a nation hit hard by the deadly Ebola virus.
- Mexican president to overhaul police Mexico's president announces plans for a massive overhaul of police, in the wake of the disappearance of 43 students in September.
- Pope Francis set for Turkey visit Pope Francis is set to visit Turkey for what is being billed as a historic trip to help interfaith dialogue in the country.
- Huge clean-up after Brisbane storm A huge clean-up is under way in Brisbane after a severe storm swept across south-east Queensland causing damage worth $A100m (£54m).
- Brazil legend Pele 'doing fine' Brazil legend Pele says he is "doing fine" following treatment for a urinary infection at a Sao Paulo hospital.
- NZ murderer deported from Brazil A New Zealand man serving a life sentence for child molestation and murder who escaped to Brazil has been deported to his home country.