Monday, September 01, 2014
One kind of riding that really pushes the envelope of what can be done with a bike and, I think, exemplifies the human/bike connection, is trials riding. Balance is what trials riding is all about. The skills used by these athletes are the same (though worlds beyond what we will use) as the ones that we will need in riding trails. An amazing example of trials riding is this short feature of Scottish trials phenom, Danny MacAskill. His latest video is here. All I have to say is, "Wow."
Sunday, August 31, 2014
OK, so we probably won't be riding at either of these locations, but it's one of the only shots of me riding that I have. (the guy in the pink shirt above—all my black shirts were dirty) I didn't want to post ONLY a picture of some adrenaline junkie hanging it out over a 30 foot gap and give folks the wrong idea. Ours is a beginning mountain bike class. We'll start at the beginning with the fundamentals of riding, bike safety as it applies to trail riding, basic bike mechanics, bike handling skills, trail maintenance and building, and lots and lots of riding here on campus and occasionally on the State Lands trail system on Center Forest. Maybe a field trip to Dockton? We'll see. Anyway, there's lots of fun to be had. And we'll have it all. Probably won't be doing much jumping, though... See you on the trail..
BBC World News
- Top Iraqi militant leader 'killed' Fugitive Iraqi militant leader Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, a former right-hand man to Saddam Hussein, has been killed, Iraqi officials say.
- Police 'foil Melbourne terror plot' Australian police say they have broken up an Islamic State-inspired plot to attack a World War One centenary event, arresting five teenagers.
- Gun battles in Mexican border city Gun battles lasting several hours break out on the streets of Reynosa, a Mexican border city that has been plagued by drug cartel violence.
- Russian opposition parties to unite The political party founded by murdered Russian dissident Boris Nemtsov says it will form a loose anti-Putin alliance ahead of 2016 elections.
- Email claim over Kiev killings A group calling itself the Ukrainian Insurgent Army says it was behind the deaths of two anti-government figures in Kiev this week.
- Obama appeal to Gulf states on Libya President Obama says Gulf nations should use their "influence" to help resolve the instability in Libya, warning that military action is not enough.