Monday, September 01, 2014
One kind of riding that really pushes the envelope of what can be done with a bike and, I think, exemplifies the human/bike connection, is trials riding. Balance is what trials riding is all about. The skills used by these athletes are the same (though worlds beyond what we will use) as the ones that we will need in riding trails. An amazing example of trials riding is this short feature of Scottish trials phenom, Danny MacAskill. His latest video is here. All I have to say is, "Wow."
Sunday, August 31, 2014
OK, so we probably won't be riding at either of these locations, but it's one of the only shots of me riding that I have. (the guy in the pink shirt above—all my black shirts were dirty) I didn't want to post ONLY a picture of some adrenaline junkie hanging it out over a 30 foot gap and give folks the wrong idea. Ours is a beginning mountain bike class. We'll start at the beginning with the fundamentals of riding, bike safety as it applies to trail riding, basic bike mechanics, bike handling skills, trail maintenance and building, and lots and lots of riding here on campus and occasionally on the State Lands trail system on Center Forest. Maybe a field trip to Dockton? We'll see. Anyway, there's lots of fun to be had. And we'll have it all. Probably won't be doing much jumping, though... See you on the trail..
BBC World News
- US faces Ebola quarantine test case A nurse who cared for Ebola patients in Sierra Leone is fighting the US state of Maine over its right to quarantine her against her will.
- Israel police kill suspected gunman A Palestinian suspected of shooting prominent Jewish activist Yehuda Glick in Jerusalem is killed in a gun-battle with Israeli police.
- Groups condemn Singapore gay ruling Human rights groups criticise a Singapore court's decision that a law banning gay sex is constitutional, saying it "tramples on basic rights".
- Mexico head meets students' families Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto meets the families of 43 students who went missing more than a month ago, sparking nationwide protests.
- Sri Lanka rescue effort intensified Rescue workers in Sri Lanka intensify their search for survivors of a tea plantation landslide which is feared to have buried more than 100 people.
- Tunisia secularists win elections Tunisia's secularist Nidaa Tounes party wins 81 seats in parliament, pushing the Islamists of Ennahda into second place, official results show.