Monday, September 01, 2014
One kind of riding that really pushes the envelope of what can be done with a bike and, I think, exemplifies the human/bike connection, is trials riding. Balance is what trials riding is all about. The skills used by these athletes are the same (though worlds beyond what we will use) as the ones that we will need in riding trails. An amazing example of trials riding is this short feature of Scottish trials phenom, Danny MacAskill. His latest video is here. All I have to say is, "Wow."
Sunday, August 31, 2014
OK, so we probably won't be riding at either of these locations, but it's one of the only shots of me riding that I have. (the guy in the pink shirt above—all my black shirts were dirty) I didn't want to post ONLY a picture of some adrenaline junkie hanging it out over a 30 foot gap and give folks the wrong idea. Ours is a beginning mountain bike class. We'll start at the beginning with the fundamentals of riding, bike safety as it applies to trail riding, basic bike mechanics, bike handling skills, trail maintenance and building, and lots and lots of riding here on campus and occasionally on the State Lands trail system on Center Forest. Maybe a field trip to Dockton? We'll see. Anyway, there's lots of fun to be had. And we'll have it all. Probably won't be doing much jumping, though... See you on the trail..
BBC World News
- Gunman kills two New York policemen A gunman shoots dead two police officers sitting inside a patrol car in New York before killing himself, officials say.
- US insists North Korea behind hack The US says North Korea must admit "culpability" for a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures after North Korea suggests a joint inquiry into the attack.
- Afghan Guantanamo inmates freed Four Afghan detainees at the US prison in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba have been sent back to their home country, the Pentagon says.
- Cuba 'will stay on' communist path Cuban President Raul Castro hails a recent move to normalise relations with the US but stresses that Havana will not change its political system.
- Xi defends 'one-China' idea in Macau Chinese President Xi Jinping urges Macau residents to respect the "one-China" policy, amid street protests in the former Portuguese colony.
- Cairns children's mother arrested Police arrest the mother of seven of the eight children found dead in a home in Cairns, Australia.