Monday, September 01, 2014
One kind of riding that really pushes the envelope of what can be done with a bike and, I think, exemplifies the human/bike connection, is trials riding. Balance is what trials riding is all about. The skills used by these athletes are the same (though worlds beyond what we will use) as the ones that we will need in riding trails. An amazing example of trials riding is this short feature of Scottish trials phenom, Danny MacAskill. His latest video is here. All I have to say is, "Wow."
Sunday, August 31, 2014
OK, so we probably won't be riding at either of these locations, but it's one of the only shots of me riding that I have. (the guy in the pink shirt above—all my black shirts were dirty) I didn't want to post ONLY a picture of some adrenaline junkie hanging it out over a 30 foot gap and give folks the wrong idea. Ours is a beginning mountain bike class. We'll start at the beginning with the fundamentals of riding, bike safety as it applies to trail riding, basic bike mechanics, bike handling skills, trail maintenance and building, and lots and lots of riding here on campus and occasionally on the State Lands trail system on Center Forest. Maybe a field trip to Dockton? We'll see. Anyway, there's lots of fun to be had. And we'll have it all. Probably won't be doing much jumping, though... See you on the trail..
BBC World News
- IS 'carried out Saudi mosque attack' The Islamic State group says it was behind a deadly suicide bombing on a Shia mosque in Saudi Arabia, apparently its first attack in the kingdom.
- Farc suspends truce after attack Colombian Farc leftist rebel group suspends its unilateral ceasefire following army attack in which 26 fighters died.
- First set of Clinton emails released State Department releases cache of emails - many relating to the attack in Benghazi, Libya - from Hillary Clinton's private email account.
- Breast-feeding protest at McDonald's Mothers with babies occupy a McDonald's restaurant in the Hungarian capital Budapest in protest after a woman was told not to breast-feed there.
- Key Iraq-Syria crossing 'falls to IS' Islamic State militants reportedly seize the last Syrian government-controlled border crossing with Iraq, after taking ancient Palmyra.
- South Korea 'nut rage' woman freed Former Korean Air executive Heather Cho, who was jailed for an outburst over macadamia nuts, has been freed after winning a court appeal.