Monday, September 01, 2014
One kind of riding that really pushes the envelope of what can be done with a bike and, I think, exemplifies the human/bike connection, is trials riding. Balance is what trials riding is all about. The skills used by these athletes are the same (though worlds beyond what we will use) as the ones that we will need in riding trails. An amazing example of trials riding is this short feature of Scottish trials phenom, Danny MacAskill. His latest video is here. All I have to say is, "Wow."
Sunday, August 31, 2014
OK, so we probably won't be riding at either of these locations, but it's one of the only shots of me riding that I have. (the guy in the pink shirt above—all my black shirts were dirty) I didn't want to post ONLY a picture of some adrenaline junkie hanging it out over a 30 foot gap and give folks the wrong idea. Ours is a beginning mountain bike class. We'll start at the beginning with the fundamentals of riding, bike safety as it applies to trail riding, basic bike mechanics, bike handling skills, trail maintenance and building, and lots and lots of riding here on campus and occasionally on the State Lands trail system on Center Forest. Maybe a field trip to Dockton? We'll see. Anyway, there's lots of fun to be had. And we'll have it all. Probably won't be doing much jumping, though... See you on the trail..
BBC World News
- US drops arms to Kurds battling IS US military aircraft drop weapons, ammunition and medical supplies to Kurdish fighters battling IS militants in the key Syrian town of Kobane.
- Two Japan ministers quit amid rows Two of five women in Japan's cabinet resign over funding scandals, in a blow to PM Shinzo Abe's plans to bring more women into top-level politics.
- Nigeria to be declared Ebola-free The World Health Organisation is expected to declare Nigeria officially free of Ebola on Monday, after six weeks with no new cases.
- HK protesters deny 'foreign link' Pro-democracy activists criticise comments by Hong Kong leader CY Leung, who says "external forces" are involved in protests in the territory.
- Australia lifts parliament veil ban Australia reverses a rule which would have restricted access to the parliament building in Canberra for women wearing full-face Islamic veils.
- Jokowi sworn in as Indonesia leader Joko Widodo, widely known as Jokowi, appeals for national work and unity as he is sworn in as the new president of Indonesia.