Thursday, August 28, 2008
Ancient RomeRome eram non constructum in a dies. Notitia in is iunctum ero hic nunc. .
BBC World News
- U-turn fails to end Brazil protests Brazilian authorities promise to reverse public transport fare rises that sparked unrest, but nationwide protests continue unabated.
- Singapore smog hits hazardous levels Singapore and Indonesia schedule an emergency meeting after haze in Singapore soars to hazardous levels, breaking all previous records.
- Sopranos actor James Gandolfini dies James Gandolfini, the US actor best known for his role as a therapy-seeking mob boss in The Sopranos, dies at the age of 51.
- Kerry calls Karzai to defuse tension The US Secretary of State John Kerry calls the Afghan leader to defuse tension over the opening of a Taliban office, an Afghan official tells the BBC.
- China gives first lecture from space China's second female astronaut, Wang Yaping, delivers the country's first-ever video lecture from the Tiangong-1 space laboratory.
- UN condemns 'despicable' Somali raid UN head Ban Ki-moon expresses outrage over a "despicable" attack by Islamists on a UN office in Somalia which killed at least 15 people.