Thursday, August 28, 2014
BBC World News
- Burkina Faso leader 'to stay on' Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore says he will stay in power under a transitional government, after a day of violent protests demanding he step down.
- Russia and Ukraine agree gas deal Russia will resume gas deliveries to Ukraine this winter in a deal brokered by the European Union, which will also safeguard supplies to EU countries.
- Drones buzz French nuclear plants An investigation begins after France's state-owned EDF power company says unidentified drones have flown over seven of its nuclear plants.
- Abbas warning over holy site closure The Palestinian leader's spokesman calls the closure of a disputed Jerusalem holy site after the shooting of a Jewish activist a "declaration of war".
- Maine bid to force nurse quarantine The governor of Maine vows to exercise the "full extent" of his authority to quarantine a US nurse who treated Ebola patients in West Africa
- US police killing suspect captured A US man who has eluded police in the forests of Pennsylvania for seven weeks after the fatal shooting of a police officer has been found.