Thursday, August 28, 2014
BBC World News
- Russians bid farewell to Nemtsov Thousands of Russians bid farewell to murdered Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov as his funeral took place in the capital Moscow.
- Obama seeks long Iran nuclear freeze The US president says Iran should freeze nuclear activity for 10 years, ahead of a controversial Washington speech by Israel's prime minister.
- Coffee linked to 'cleaner' arteries Drinking a few cups of coffee a day may help people avoid clogged arteries - a known risk factor for heart disease - South Korean researchers believe.
- India's Maharashtra state bans beef The Indian president approves a bill which bans the slaughter of cows and the sale and consumption of beef in the western state of Maharashtra.
- $80m for Sierra Leone to fight Ebola The International Monetary Fund says Sierra Leone is to receive more than $80m (£52m) immediately to help the country overcome the Ebola outbreak.
- 'Cloudy' drug halts US execution The execution of the first woman in Georgia in 70 years is postponed because the drug that was to be used appeared "cloudy", US officials say.