Thursday, August 28, 2014
BBC World News
- Soldier killed in Canada shootings A huge security operation is under way in Canada's capital Ottawa after a gunman killed a soldier at a war memorial and shots were fired in the parliament building.
- Four guilty of Blackwater killings A US federal jury finds four Blackwater security guards guilty of killing 14 Iraqis in a square in Baghdad in 2007.
- Mexico orders Iguala mayor's arrest Mexico orders the arrest of the mayor of the southern town of Iguala, where 43 students disappeared after clashing with police last month.
- Obama 'optimistic' over Ebola in US President Barack Obama expresses cautious optimism about the Ebola situation in the US, as new screening rules are introduced in the country.
- Syria air force 'steps up strikes' The Syrian military has stepped up its air strikes on rebel-held areas dramatically, carrying out more than 200 in recent days, activists say.
- Jerusalem car 'attack' kills baby A baby girl is killed and eight others injured after a car hits pedestrians in Jerusalem in what police are suggesting was a "terrorist attack".