Thursday, August 28, 2014
BBC World News
- French launch first strikes on IS President Hollande says France has carried out its first air strikes against IS militants in Iraq, joining the US in military action against the group.
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown A three-day curfew begins in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.
- Alibaba shares surge on NY debut Alibaba's shares open well above their initial price on the New York Stock Exchange, a sign of the excitement surrounding the Chinese internet giant.
- Sarkozy announces return to politics French ex-President Nicolas Sarkozy returns to politics, announcing on his Facebook page that he will seek the leadership of main centre-right party.
- Iran Happy dancers given 91 lashes Six Iranians arrested for filming a video tribute to Pharrell Williams' song Happy are sentenced to 91 lashes and jail terms, their lawyer says.
- GSK fined $490m by China for bribery China fines UK pharmaceuticals firm GlaxoSmithKline $490m (£297m) for bribery and its former head of Chinese operations is given a suspended jail sentence.