Thursday, August 28, 2008
Ancient China"Patience, Grasshopper..." .
BBC World News
- Novice 'steered South Korea ferry' The South Korean ferry that sank on Wednesday was steered by a ship's mate unfamiliar with the waters where the accident occurred, officials say.
- Easter messages show Ukraine divide Orthodox Easter messages from patriarchs in Kiev and Moscow reflect Ukraine's deep divide, as a tense stand-off continues in the east.
- UN envoy and Israel in Easter row The UN envoy to the Middle East accuses Israel of blocking his way to an Easter ceremony in Jerusalem, as Israel questions his judgement.
- Syria-held French journalists freed Four French journalists held captive in Syria for months have been freed and are in "good health", says President Francois Hollande.
- Easter deaths spark Brazil protests Residents of a poor community near Rio de Janeiro torch vehicles in protest at the deaths of two young men in incidents involving the police.
- Pakistan TV anchor shot in attack Hamid Mir, one of Pakistan's best known television presenters, is injured in an attack by unidentified gunmen in the southern city of Karachi.