Thursday, August 28, 2008
Ancient China"Patience, Grasshopper..." .
BBC World News
- Attack follows news of Afghan talks Four US soldiers have been killed at Bagram airbase in Afghanistan, hours after the US announced direct talks with the Taliban.
- G8 backs urgent Syria peace talks G8 leaders back calls for Syrian peace talks to be held in Geneva "as soon as possible", without mentioning the fate of President Bashar al-Assad.
- Brazil president 'proud' of protests Dilma Rousseff says she is proud so many people are fighting for a better country, as new protests take place in Sao Paulo and other cities.
- Chile to extradite Argentine judge The Chilean Supreme Court approves the extradition of former Argentine judge Otilio Romano, accused of human rights abuses under the military government.
- Nigeria militants kill school pupils Suspected Boko Haram militants in Nigeria kill at least nine school children, in what survivors suggest is a response to growing vigilante groups.
- US surveillance 'foiled 50 plots' The head of the US electronic spying agency tells Congress surveillance programmes leaked to media helped thwart 50 attacks since 2001.