Thursday, August 28, 2014
BBC World News
- Thousands more join HK protests Crowds of pro-democracy protesters grow in Hong Kong ahead of what organisers hope will be the largest protests so far on Wednesday - China's National Day.
- Kurds fight IS on Iraq-Syria border Heavy fighting is reported on both sides of a key border crossing between Iraq and Syria, where Kurdish forces are battling Islamic State militants.
- White House security plan 'failed' The director of the US Secret Service says its security plan was "not properly executed" when a man broke into the White House this month.
- Afghans sign deal to keep US troops The new Afghan government signs a security deal with American officials that will allow US troops to remain in the country beyond 2014.
- Iran 'postpones' woman's execution Iran is reported to have postponed the execution of Reyhaneh Jabbari, convicted of killing a man she said was trying to sexually abuse her.
- Catalans slow independence campaign The government of Catalonia halts its referendum campaign following a court ruling but remains "determined" to hold the vote.